Turn and face the strange
As an accomplished Operations Leader with experience encompassing engineering leadership, maintenance planning and oversight, and power generations operations, I have built a well-rounded, progressive career. I’ve found my successes have been achieved by introducing strategic initiatives, building and leading top-performing workforces, and establishing a quality, safety, performance driven culture. With a broad-based career across various engineering, maintenance, and operational environments, I have developed extensive skills and contributed to the continued growth and improvement of all organizations I have supported.
✦ Selected Accomplishments ✦
✓ Actively involved in driving corporate vision and objectives through the introduction of strategies, initiatives and programs, as well as change management to achieve continuous process and productivity improvement.
✓ Equally adept at leading projects, driving transformation and enhancing safety programs to ensure the attainment of established operational and industry goals.
✓ Strengths in overseeing daily operations, managing capital budgets and leading diverse workforces by establishing a positive working culture that fosters growth and development.
✦ Areas of Expertise ✦
Engineering Operations & Maintenance Strategy & Oversight • Project Leadership & Execution • Strategic & Tactical Planning • Change Management • Executive Level Decision Making & Guidance • Vision for Success • Business Transformation • Process/Productivity Improvement • Team Building, Development & Leadership • Partnership Building • Cost Optimization • Stakeholder Engagement • Business Process Optimization • Capital Improvements • Corporate Compliance
Deliver executive operational leadership for the Energy business consisting of 10 fossil and renewable power plants. Provide complete oversight of financial performance, project development, operational planning and safety functions to ensure alignment with corporate expectations. Report to CEO and work collaboratively on the definition, implementation and enhancement of division processes, strategies and policies to drive cash flow, performance and efficiency improvements. Direct an organization of 200 geographically dispersed resources.
• Established a culture of performance, safety and accountability to meet all company and departmental plans, which resulted in an increase in fleet capacity and availability factors.
• Increased business unit earnings per share by 7% via fleet pre-tax operating income, as well as developing and deploying a new waste elimination process, which delivered $1M cost savings.
• Spearheaded the design and implementation of processes for managing daily operations at fossil generating facilities, establishing a safe, reliable and compliant organization.
• Championed the creation of a new employee development and succession plan program, creating a consistent internal pipeline of new leadership candidates.
• Drove the introduction and enforcement of safety and regulatory programs, policies and protocol to meet state and federal requirements, including environmental, NERC and SOX standards.
• Key contributor for development and expansion operations, partnering with C-suite leadership and stakeholders o the full transaction process, including analyzing potential acquisition, conducting negotiations and due diligence.
• Active participant on Asset Owner Partnership and Management Committees.
Hired to provide strategic leadership of operations of fossil generating facilities, ensuring a safe, reliable and compliant environment while meeting system load requirements. Hold direct accountability for all operational functions, including financial performance, safety program, regulatory compliance, resource management and maintenance planning. Manage a team and budget.
• Lead the coordination of planned and unplanned outages and large capital projects; develop short and long-range plans for equipment maintenance to maintain production demands.
• Conducted operational assessments and internal audits to identify issues related to performance, quality and productivity; introduce strategies and processes to resolve inefficiencies and meet organizational goals. Increased starting reliability, reduced outages and decreased equivalent forces outage rate.
• Directed the development of contingency plans and risk response plans, as well as maintenance strategies to support daily and future production requirements.
• Developed new tool for effective manpower resource loading, resulting in improved group efficiencies, enhanced performance and optimal cost control.
• Created and rolled out a new lockout tagout process for routine and major maintenance activities.
• Established a safety and quality minded culture by educating team members on safety requirements and enforcing industry regulations, corporate objectives and quality control standards.
• Restructured candidate recruitment process, increasing diversity of candidate pools.
• Implemented a new influential leadership structure safety program to establish a safety and quality minded culture; developed new reporting metrics to track unsafe conditions and proactive behaviors.
• Currently in the process of implementing Excellence model to business unit, including developing new tools for use across various work groups.
Led the coordination and execution of preventative, predictive and corrective maintenance programs for large power plants. Directed all daily maintenance operations for critical systems and equipment, including developing maintenance plans and schedule, establishing maintenance processes and maintaining service agreements. Held full responsibility for planning and scheduling outages, devising strategies for unplanned maintenance and overseeing preventative maintenance projects. Managed a team and maintenance budget.
• Championed a strong safety culture by documenting proactive safety actions and identifying/mitigating a significant number of unsafe conditions; established strategies for proactively identifying issues to maintain safe operations.
• Spearheaded the development of strategies and processes related to maintenance activities, including preventative, predictive and corrective repairs; resulted in improved equipment performance and reduced equipment downtime.
• Partnered with cross-functional leadership on the development of short and long-range maintenance plans to meet production and operational goals.
• Developed process for urgent parts procurement to reduce wait-time, ensuring attainment of strict deadlines; resulted in parts errors.
• Rolled out a new learning management system (LMS) to provide effective training for team members.
• Led the implementation of a work management system to replace legacy system; integrated all ongoing and planned work into system to maintain production levels.
Developed technical and commercial project requirements for complex projects. Led project development and scope definition for upgrades, modifications and expansions. Handled all project activities, including supplier relationships, budgeting and developing project execution plans for fleet equipment assets.
• Designed and modified gas turbine, steam turbine, HRSG, boiler, water treatment and BOP equipment.
• Established and executed enhanced alarm management process, reducing incidents from 75 to 30 alarms per hour.
• Led design and build of 2 450 MW combined cycle plant distributed control system replacements.
• Initiated coordinated bid strategy to bundle bid packages to obtain greatest volume discounts.
Progressed internally based on outstanding performance and contributions. Managed a team of 8 responsible for leading the planning and execution of multi-disciplinary onsite construction projects. Directed all project activities, including drafting specifications, establishing cost estimates and budgets, leading engineering resources and developing scope, variations, change orders and RFIs.
• Drafted and administered contracts, serving as owner representative for all onsite construction projects.
• Led various projects, including electrostatic precipitator, selective catalytic reduction and scrubber clean air plant improvements on conventional power blocks.
• Functioned as project lead engineer for the overhaul of 20 gas turbines.
Turn and face the strange
The highway addressable remote transducer protocol is also known as the HART protocol, according to Neil G Pansey.…
Backup power sources can be used to supplement utility power, notes Neil G Pansey. A backup power supply can…